The intention behind developing a website is to reach out to your customers and inform them about the services and thereby establishing a web presence. Quite naturally, you take every possible step to make it attractive and engaging. But have you ever thought of leaving a white space in the design? As a business owner, you definitely would not like the idea of not using a space because the thought of transmitting information to the visitors, is your fist concern.
But think for a moment, would you like to look into a website which is jam-packed with write-ups and images? Of course not! It will be strenuous to your eyes and most importantly, boring. So, even if you think white space is a misuse, from a designing point of view, this has high value. However, by white space it does not mean a completely blank space. It is a part of the web layout utilized in a manner that gives the web design more prominence.
What so special about this space?
The white space is also known as negative space, which means an unmarked portion of the page that lies in between images, graphics, margins, lines and so on. Basically, this is a breathing room for developing a visual treat. Though it seems ‘nothing’, but the meaning it gives to the design is worth appreciating. So, if you really want to keep an aesthetic factor in your website, use the opportunities that white spaces offer.
According to the designers, these spaces are the building blocks for a website because effective utilization and implementation can appeal the onlookers. White spaces are even advantageous as it makes your website less strenuous to the eyes, especially at the time of reading or browsing.
What are the advantages?
- Usually, clients prefer to use as much space as possible because of the cost factor; however, doing just the opposite can add more value. Increasing white space can make a brand look smart, disseminating message easily to the customers. As per a research, visitors can comprehend a website 20% more if these spaces are incorporated in right manner. White spaces increases website interaction preventing the distractions.
- Now, you just don’t want your visitors to browse through your website, you want them to read it as well. This is where white space plays a significant role again in enhancing the readability and legality of any website. Squeezing text on a page hampers the overall user experience. White space makes text easier to scan and comprehend; so spacing between characters in the text, headline copy and menu bar is conducive, if you want your website to ensure a ‘feel good’ reading experience.
- Another advantage of increasing white space is its ability to maintain a balance throughout the website and complimenting it as well. These spaces even make other colors bright and prominent. White space can enhance the richness and intensity of the texture and shades used for designing the website, making it appear more pleasurable. But then again, you need to work judiciously because too much white space can highlight lack of content, which is undoubtedly harmful.
What’s need to be kept in mind?
No matter whether you are developing the web design from a renowned whether you are developing the web design from a renowned designing company in Miami, Philadelphia or Seattle, you still need to keep a few things in mind.
- The designer and developer must work in a collaborative manner and discuss every aspect of layout.
- Usually, the idea of not letting the visitors to scroll often leads to decreasing of white space. But the thing is, if your website is engaging and informative, the customer is bound to scroll down.
- Most importantly, you need to make your client understand, why the white space in important for a design.
The reason of your responsive design is to make your services get recognized. So, it becomes important to create a website, which is uncluttered. The white space you leave always add more essence by highlighting the element you want the visitors to see. It is not at all a wasted area; rather this space makes the site tidy and develops a layout to which your consumers can interact without any difficulties.